Did you know that there are some common signs of flood damage that you can spot in and around your home?
This list will tell you some of the most telltale indications that water damage has occured.
It’s important to stay on top of issues with water damage to your home.
Apart from structural issues, flood damage can also cause the growth of mold in your home. Neither of these contribute to a healthy living environment.
Here are some of the most common signs of water damage you can spot on your property:
- If your home is on a downslope this is especially important: Check the foundations for signs of creaking or other visible damage. There could also be signs such as crumbling and discoloration.
- Examine your attack’s shingles and roof for damage, particularly to the flashing. The flashing prevents water from leaking into your home and damage here will lead to flood damage in the home.
- Look at gutters and downspouts - make sure gutters aren’t clogged. Gutters can be clogged with almost any form of debris and should be regularly cleaned to maintain them in proper working order.
- Check other things used for diverting water away from your house. These are downspouts and channels on the ground to move water away from your home.
- Inspect for signs of separation around windows and door frames. This can indicate some kind of warping is occurring.
Signs of Damage Inside of the Home:
- Water rings on ceilings or wells. This telltale sign often appears brown on white walls or as a dark spot on other colors. Not only is this a definite sign of some kind of water damage but it is also a potential sign of other things like developing mold.
- Soft or sagging spots on the floor or up on the ceiling. As water seeps into structures it weakens their integrity and makes them prone to sagging or even eventual collapse.
- Warped or cracked floors are often signs that a pipe is leaking.
- Discoloration and warping underneath cabinets where pipes are. This makes sense because it is a locus point of transferring water into a room. Pipes can wear out over time and develop issues where they start to leak. Even small leaks can have a hugely damaging impact which is why it is so important to regularly check your home for signs of water damage. An ounce of prevention is often worth a pound of cure they say.
- Check for signs of hasty repair work such as painted over water discoloration and the like. This is especially important if you are renting or looking to buy a property. If you notice paint applied more thickly in one area then there might be an issue there that someone is trying to hide.
- Rust developing on the home’s hot water heater. This could indicate a leak now or in the past which is why it is important to check it out.
- A musty or mildew smell in the home permeates the home.